Saturday, January 5, 2008

Featured Artist: On A Thousand Hills



1. Tell me a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff).

My name is Cheryl, and I live in western Massachusetts. I have been involved in crafts and sewing in particular, since I was in grade school. I took 4 years of a clothing shop in our local vocational high school. I try to integrate my love of nature with my love of craft.

2. What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?

I remember my aunt getting out boxes of supplies when we'd visit. We'd sit for hours and make all sorts of things. I most remember the snow globes we'd make out of baby food jars.

3. Creatively where do you think you'll be in five years?

I am just beyond the beginning stages of beading, so I will certainly become more creative in 5 years. I have a lot to learn. I also get ideas for other craft and art ideas, and am hoping to branch out into some of those soon.

4. Why should people buy handmade?

It keeps our dollar in our own, American economy. When you buy handmade, you know it is not being made using slave-labor. It is usually something unique, not one of a zillion that were made by machine somewhere.

5. What is the best homemade item you have ever bought?

I would have to say that the beautiful butterfly bowl, made by Judy B Freeman (JudyBFreeman.etsy.com) was my best homemade purchase so far. It was hard to give it up as a gift to my Mom this Christmas.

Etsy Shop: http://onathousandhills.etsy.com
Blog: http://onathousandhills.blogspot.com

1 comment:

On A Thousand Hills said...

Heh,better late than never, right? Anyway, thanks for featuring me, and I still think the "interview" idea is cool.