Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Featured Artist: Lucky Girl Trading Company



1. Tell me a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff).

In the spring of 2001 I was overwhelmed by sadness and huge piles of clutter. My marriage was in the midst of a very ugly ending, and he had left tons of his stuff behind. I suddenly realized that I was a very lucky girl to be rid of him, and Lucky Girl Trading Company was born. I began listing his stuff for sale on eBay, clearing away both the clutter and the sadness. A few years later I met my lucky guy--who was selling a bit of jewelry--and married him in a hot air balloon ceremony in 2006. We've worked together to build Lucky Girl Trading into a fun and fulfilling enterprise. I've also discovered working with glass--one of my all-time favorite creative outlets. I've also discovered two ancient arts: Kumihimo and Temari. Both are centuries-old crafts, and both give me a zen-like tranquility while working.

I truly am a Lucky Girl! Every day I gather pretty, sparkly things and send them to people. I imagine a person opening their mail and taking out their new pendant or chain or Temari ball. It's perfect--they have a huge smile on their face--and so do I.

Be my friend on MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/luckygirltrading

Make Every Day Your Lucky Day (my blog): http://luckygirltrading.blogspot.com/

Visit me on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/Lucky-Girl-Trading-Company

Visit me on Etsy: http://luckygirltrading.etsy.com

2. What inspires you? Where do your ideas come from?

I never know what's going to inspire me until it happens. It could be something one of my children does, a "science project" I discover in the fridge, or a beautiful piece of art I see. Often my ideas come from picking up bits of glass and rearranging them--glass fascinates me and I could play with it for hours without ever doing anything productive.

3. What is the best thing about your products?

Every piece of glass, Temari ball, and Kumihimo braid is unique, so you're guaranteed to have a one-of-a-kind item. I can try to duplicate them, but it's never an exact match.

4. Why should people buy your product?

I want my customers to be completely happy with their purchase. It's difficult to shop when you can't actually pick an item up and feel it, turn it around, hold it up to the light. I'm happy to take returns and/or exchanges--it's more important to me that the customer is pleased with their purchase. I have a large number of repeat customers, and I think this policy plays a big part.

5. What is the best homemade item you have ever bought?

I can't pick just one! I think anything that inspires my family--whether it's one of my grown children or younger stepchildren--to be creative. I bought a chainmaille keychain that intrigued them so much that my 12-year-old asked where she can find a list of all possible arts and crafts so that she could try each one. I don't think it gets any better than that!

Etsy Shop: http://luckygirltrading.etsy.com
Blog: http://luckygirltrading.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Lucky Girl said...

This is lovely, thank you so much!