Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Featured Artist: Katrin Lerman Jewelry



I come from a family of makers and have been doing jewelry since I was a little girl (if making friendship bracelets is considered jewelry ; ) Originally from Germany, I settled in Massachusetts, US almost ten years ago. I can’t believe it has been such a long time already! Nonetheless, I draw inspiration from my German childhood as well as from the time spent here and from every little moment I can remember happening in between. Sometimes, photographs of finished jewelry pop into my mind and I have to quickly run to jot them down before they are gone. Other times, I have an idea in mind and it takes a lot of drawings until I have figured out how to best do what I was thinking about. Of course, those sketches are not written in stone and I often change a design while I am making the piece to arrive at the best end result possible.

All of my pieces are entirely hand made by me using sterling silver wire and high quality genuine gemstones. First, I create the desired shape/shell for a piece out of thick sterling silver wire. Then I string on the gemstones and wrap the entire piece with feet upon feet of thin sterling silver wire to give it a finished look. I add tiny sterling silver beads to the frame during wrapping to give it more dimension.

Every piece is different so if you see something and you like it you better grab it fast!

I also LOVE to work on custom designs. So if you have a certain gemstone or color in mind, please contact me. I can also incorporate keepsakes, such as beads, shells or charms into a beautiful pendant.

I graduated from the New England School of Art and Design at Suffolk University in Boston with a Degree of Fine Arts in Interior Design. Interior Design is all about color, form, and texture – and that’s what I’m integrating in my jewelry designs.

Now that I have a beautiful baby girl, I try to spend every free minute (and those of you who have a baby know that there are few) creating jewelry. Naturally, I have lots more time thinking than creating and so my sketch book is filling up with ideas for years to come. I can’t wait to get working on all those ideas and designs!!!

Etsy Shop: http://KatrinLermanJewelry.etsy.com
Blog: http://katrinlermanjewelry.blogspot.com/