Monday, November 12, 2007

Featured Artist: Banana Showcase



1. Tell me a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff).

I am Kelly Van Voltenburg. I have been sewing since I received a refurbished sewing machine for my 14th birthday. I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas suburbs and have lived in Texas most of my life. I live with my husband, my 20 year old daughter and her 3 month old daughter. I babysit my granddaughter during the day while her mom works so that means that a good portion of my sewing gets done after everyone else is in bed. Oh and I am a VERY young grandmother! LOL

2. What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?

When I was about 4 or 5 my mom would make homemade dough for me. I would create little dolls and pets for them out of the dough. After that my mom would bake the dough so the dolls, cats, dogs, and bunnies would get hard. I would play with all of them until they broke into pieces and then the cycle would start all over again.

3. What is the best thing about your products?

I feel like I make a quality product that is both stylish and durable.

4. Why should people buy your product?

I design all of my own patterns so you will not see anything just like it anywhere else. Also I don't purchase a ton of each fabric that I get and I don't usually purchase the same fabric again. So there will be a limited amount of each item I make. And let's face it, buying handmade just rocks!

5. Who is your dream buyer?

I know lots of people dream of seeing their products being used by celebrities. I would rather tons of just everyday folks buy my products so that they become something recognizeable at a glance. I would love for someone to see me walking down the street and say "Oh I love that Banana Showcase purse that you are carrying."

Etsy Shop: http://BananaShowcase.etsy.com
Blog: http://kellyvanvoltenburg.typepad.com/bananashowcase/

No comments: