Sunday, December 30, 2007

Featured Artist: Scorpienna



1. Tell me a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff).

I'm Emily and I live in Rolla, Missouri. I'm currently a student at the Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly UM-Rolla). I received my bachelor's degree in biological engineering from the University of Missouri. I like to use tools to fix things and to make things, so I find that making jewelry is a fun way to relax when I'm not in classes. I now sell on Etsy at http://scorpienna.etsy.com and I'm a member of EtsyLou, the St. Louis Etsy street team.

When I'm not in school or playing on Etsy, I enjoy going to the Missouri wineries, playing with my beloved green cheeked conure (parrot) Charlie, and dancing. I'm currently taking ballet and modern dance classes for adult beginners, and the classes are a fun challenge for me.

2. What inspires you? Where do your ideas come from?

I'm inspired by a mix of current trends and classical beauty. I'm attracted to rich, vibrant colors and patterns, symmetry, motion, and sparkle. I developed an obsession with Swarovski crystals after I became enamored with the glitz and glamour of beauty pageants, so I look for ways to take evening glamour down to a level that's appropriate for everyday wear with jeans and a favorite shirt. I'm also on a quest to make fun-and-funky things that have never been created before, so I have some unique creations to show from those endeavors.

3. Creatively where do you think you'll be in five years?

I imagine that I'll still be creating jewelry with an eclectic mix of bright colors, sparkle, beauty, and uniqueness.

4. What is the best thing you have ever created?

Chandelier earrings. I certainly didn't invent chandelier earrings, but I love to make them. I've created them in just about every size, color, and pattern under the sun, yet I still come up with new ideas on what to make.

5. Why should people buy handmade?

People should buy handmade for the heart and soul that is put into their purchases. It's a good feeling to have something that a real person has made as opposed to buying things that were produced on an anonymous assembly line. When I'm complimented on something I bought, I love the feeling I get when I say that I bought it from a friendly man or woman who makes things and sells them on Etsy, which is a feeling that I don't get when I say I bought something at the mall. Buying handmade is buying something made with love.

Etsy Shop: http://scorpienna.etsy.com
Blog: http://myspace.com/scorpienna
Blog: http://scorpienna.livejournal.com

No comments: