Monday, December 3, 2007

Featured Artist: Alternate Bliss



1. Tell me a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff).

My first name is Tanya... Born in England, raised in Utah! Let's see I'm a social worker/kindergarten teacher by day, artisan jeweler by night literally! lol I have degrees in English & Social work as well as a minor in philosophy. I'm currently teaching a kindergarten class and finishing up my masters in education.

Let's see what else can I tell you... Oh my sculpting and watercolor painting abilities only recently came about. I am completely self taught and honestly believed until I was 30 that I had zero creative abilities. I was tormented because I felt so creative but never dared to explore it! So my advise is... go for it... what have you got to lose! I laugh when I look at my path... I just go wherever my heart leads me. For now my passion is directed towards my family (husband of 10 years and two daughters ages 1 and 3, always and forever my passion), teaching, fine silver and just creating stuff in general!...lol.

Affiliations: Member of Altrusa International (community service oriented group).

2. What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?

1st thing I remember making by hand was a kindergarten craft project that involved dipping my hands into this mint green pasty paint and pressing my hand onto a sheet of construction paper that featured a typed out poem about little hands. I'm assuming it was a Mother's Day project of some kind.

3. What inspires you? Where do your ideas come from?

Inspiration: Comes from all things, music, art, literature, family, walks, drives, quiet moments, film, fellow artisans.

4. Why should people buy handmade?

Buying handmade means more than buying something you like, it means you're buying from a fellow artisan, from a name not a conglomerate. It means you truly value the artist and the final creation. It supports a community that lives and breaths creativity.

5. Creatively where do you think you'll be in five years?

Creatively, in five years I hope to have discovered more of my talents that have been dormant. I didn't know I could paint or sculpt until I was 30. I honestly believed that I had zero creative ability. I have never taken an art class in my life up until my 30's. Scratch that I actually had an art appreciation/history course in high school which I loved, but sincerely believed I could never paint or sculpt. I can't wait to see what things I'll be making.

Etsy Shop: http://alternatebliss.etsy.com
Blog: http://alternatebliss.blogspot.com

No comments: