Saturday, December 15, 2007

Featured Artist: Deabusamor



1. Tell me a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff).

Hallo! I'm one of those inconspicuous people who serve you coffee at Starbucks for breakfast and hand you dinner with a smile at KFC. Who knew that apart from my "day job" I also dabble in polymer clay and jewelry! (I hate calling myself 'clay artist' or 'jewelry designer' -- it sounds way too professional!)

Now you do! I'm Sheika Lugtu and I love making jewelry though I think I shine most when I dream up polymer clay pendants, beads and charms (leave all the design work to others, I always say.)

I only got into clay 5 months ago and feel I've really found my medium. I'm hoping to eventually be able to support myself through my claywork and paintings.

2. What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?

Growing up I had very strict parents who didn't believe in buying toys, so I spent my time "playing" with books. The very first doll I ever got was a Barbie during my 4th grade church 'Christmas gift-away'. Since I couldn't buy alternate clothes for her, I took two triangles of cloth (cut from old cotton pjs,) stapled them together and called it a skirt! Since then I've built her a cardboard doll house complete with clay miniatures.

3. What inspires you? Where do your ideas come from?

Though I was born in the Philippines, I've lived and traveled to very many countries including most of the Middle East, India, Bahrain, Hong Kong etc. I currently reside in the US but I feel like I've seen so many cultures that I don't draw from any just one. In all my works I try to draw the various works of art, religions, customs and cultures I've seen.

4. Where would be the best location for showing off your product (the Louvre, Buckingham Palace)

On people. It's my dream come true when customers wear my work because they love it and it goes with their style and fashion.

5. What is the best homemade item you have ever bought?

This may sound weird but years ago, I had a friend whose family was very poor. She wanted to buy her little brother a GI Joe he'd been wanting but didn't have the money for. I saved up my weekly allowance for 2 months (it came up to about 17 dollars) and bought a painting of hers (it was a sunset with two stick figures sitting on the beach, and v-shaped birds flying in the sky.) I wish I could find it now, but I think my 12 year old self lost it in my many travels.

Etsy Shop: http://Deabusamor.etsy.com
Blog: http://omgcow.blogspot.com

No comments: