Saturday, July 26, 2008

Featured Artist: The Candle Gourdess


The Candle Gourdess

Let me help you pass on a smile!

1. Tell me a bit about yourself (name, location,affiliations, personal stuff).

My name is Tracy Swartz, (a.k.a. The Domestic Gourdess) and I live in Northwest Ohio. I discovered dried gourds in 2004 when a friend of mine brought a Gourd Woman to sell. I was drawn in and hooked! She came home with me and I started to look up information about gourds on-line. I kept hearing "Gourdesses... make Gourdesses" in my head. I haven't been able to stop playing with gourds ever since. I also love to garden, can, raise chickens and ducks and live a sort of homesteading kind of lifestyle. I also love to write and am working on publishing a children's story.

2. What inspires you? Where do your ideas come from?

It's hard to pin down because sometimes it's the gourd itself (shape, texture, spots) or an idea will drop into my head when I'm looking at something. I do receive inspiration from my customers who request a customized piece. I have an uncanny knack to "see" or "visualize" what they want. Again, the picture sometimes drops into my head.

3. What is your favourite thing in your shop and why?

Right now my favorite item is the Hooey Bird. I had this gourd sitting on my workbench intending to create something totally different with it. I picked it up as a visual aid to show my husband something when I noticed it had a belly button. The rest of the "bird" popped right out at me after that. Most importantly, it made me laugh as I created it.

4. What is the best thing about your products?

They make people smile and feel good. I really believe people deserve to smile and feel good more.

5. What is the best homemade item you have ever bought?

Every year I go to a local craft show to purchase stocking stuffers for the kid's at Christmas. It's well made, unique, and something you aren't going to find at the big box stores.

Website: http://www.thecandlegourdess.com
Blog: http://www.thedomesticgourdess.com

No comments: